Thursday, February 25, 2010

Impressabilities Tips/Techniques with Cuttlebug PART 2

I posted some Impressabilities Tips/Techniques with the Cuttlebug a week ago HERE. This post will build on those techniques, so if you have not read them, you may want to check that post out first and then come back.

I was interested in what else I could do with Impressabilites and came up with the following ideas. (I thought the writing on the photos would be alot bigger...sorry.)

I was interested in how the Impressabilities would translate to vellum, so I tried some different ideas, and posted my results for you.

Sample 1
I spritzed the vellum with water and then embossed it with the Impressabilities. I spritzed it to see if the embossing would come out more defined like on CS. I found that it didn't make as much of a difference as it does on CS, and that the vellum dried more wrinkly (is that a word...lol?).

Sample 2
I used a smaller piece of vellum, and did NOT spritz it first.

Sample 3
This piece of vellum did not photograph well, but I wanted to see what chalking the embossing would look like. This piece was NOT spritzed with water.

Samples 4 & 5
For these samples I used the Letterpress Technique with Fiskars Silver Pigment Ink. The first photo shows how well it covers the vellum, while the second photo I tilted so that you could see the shine of the ink.

Sample 6
On this piece of vellum, I embossed the corner with just a piece of the Impressabilities which I inked up with Dye Ink (CTMH Spring Iris Ink)-the Letterpress Technique. The dye ink gives it a soft look.

Sample 7
This is the same vellum piece as Sample 6, but with a piece of blue CS behind it to show you how colour can change the look of things.

Sample 8
This piece of vellum is embossed with no ink.

Sample 9
This final piece of vellum I brayered with Dye Ink (CTMH Buttercup Ink) after embossing with the Impressabilities. I left the Impressabilites under it while I brayered it.

Sample 10
I realized that I showed an example of the debossed side (I like to think of it as the 'depression' made by the template) of the Impressabilities sanded, but not the embossed (or the raised) side. So this sample shows the embossed side sanded. This piece was spritzed with water first.

Sample 11
If you don't own any Pigment Inks (for the Letterpress Technique), you can get a fairly close similar look (is that proper grammar???) with Dye Ink and a Brayer. Spritz the CS before embossing with the Impressabilities, then before removing the Impressabilities, brayer over the embossed side (the opposite side of the CS from the Impressabilities). Not quite as crisp a look as the Letterpress Technique, but not too bad. (The ink used-CTMH Sweet Leaf)

Sample 12
I used the same technique as Sample 11, but inked the CS with a lighter colour, CTMH Buttercup Ink.


Sample 13
I wanted to see how the Letterpress Technique looked with a dark Dye Ink, like CTMH Moonstruck, on a colour CS like CTMH Spring Iris. I applied the ink to the Impressabilities directly using the ink pad. Pigment Ink is the best way to go, but the darker dye ink didn't turn out too bad. One thing I noticed was that the ink sort of 'beaded' up on the Impressabilities, which led me to try applying the ink with a brayer...see Sample 14.
Sample 14
I used the same technique as explained in Sample 13 using CTMH Buttercup Dye Ink, with CTMH White Daisy CS. Rather than applying the ink directly with the ink pad, I used my brayer to ink up the Impressabilities. I found that the ink had a smoother finish, and did not bead up like in Sample 13.

Sample 15 & 16
For these 2 samples I used Fiskars Silver Pigment Ink and the Letterpress Technique. For the first sample I used CTMH Outdoor Denim CS, and for the second sample I used CTMH Pansy Purple CS (I forgot to take a shot of how the silver shines).

Sample 17
For this sample of Letterpress Technique I used CTMH Black CS and CTMH White Daisy Ink.
Sample 18
I wanted to see what tone-on-tone would look like. Here I used Maya Road Dark Brown Pigment Ink, and CTMH Chocolate CS.
Sample 19 & 20
Last, but not least, I used chalk on an embossed piece of CS. The piece on the left I spritzed with water first, embossed it, then applied chalk to the embossing. The piece on the right I did NOT spritz with water, embossed it, then applied chalk to the embossing. Two really different looks.
Well, I hope I have inspired you and not put you to sleep with my super long post. I've done the work, now you can go play!!!
Enjoy,
Deneen

3 comments:

Lorrinda said...

Fabulous post! Sort of an embossing test kitchen! You've done all the work for us! Thank you for sharing your experiments.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've looked at these but wasn't sure. Now I know.

Ter ;)

Anonymous said...

I was just looking for the correct Cuttlebug sandwich for Impressabilities and found all this information! Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails