Thursday, June 04, 2009

Stationary Box - Instructions

I posted this Stationary Box a few days ago. It was from a template site (as soon as I locate it again, I will give them credit) What they didn't have were the measurements. So I came up with some, and would like to share them with you. I also explain how I covered the Stationary Box, to give it a professional finished look.

*Ah ha!!!!, I found the site again.........you can find their template HERE, at Paper Scrapz. And *said sheepishly* it is called a Keepsake Box...not Treasure Box like I thought (I'm only 39 and my memory is already going *sigh*).

The Stationary Box is made from 2 pieces of CS...the 'box' is made from one piece, and the 'cover' which wraps around the box is from the 2nd piece.


'Box' Piece: I cut it from CTMH White Daisy CS (the photo isn't true colour). The dimensions: 8 1/2" x 9 3/4". Piece A
'Cover' Piece: This is also cut from CTMH White Daisy CS. The dimensions: 6 1/2" x 12". Piece BI covered the 'Box' Piece with CTMH Serendipity B&T Paper. I made it 1/2" larger on all sides so that I could wrap it around the CS and give it a nice finished look. Dimensions: 9 1/2" x 10 3/4". Piece C



Because the 'Cover' Piece is already 12" long, I cut 2, 1/2" strips to glue on the back side, to keep the uniformity of the look. (Clear as mud???) Dimensions: 7 1/2" x 12", 2 strips: 1/2" x 6 1/2". Piece D


Now because I wrapped the B&T paper around my 'Box' and 'Cover' base pieces, I wanted to cover the backside to give it a nice finished look (I used the thinner pattern paper for this, not the heavier CS...because eventually this 'sandwich' has to be folded)....these pieces are a 1/2" smaller on all sides than the base CS pieces....The pictures farther down help explain my madness!! Dimensions: 8" x 9 1/4". Piece E

Dimensions: 6" x 11 1/2". Piece F
Okay, now for assembly!!!

This is the 'Box' Piece-Piece A. I Tombowed (is that a word?) the corners, because I did not want the covering pieces to 'bubble' after I glued them on.


Piece A glued on top of Piece C, and the corners cut.

Here I've taken the above photo and folded and glued the edges down. They're wrapped around the 'Box' base piece (Piece A).

Here I've taken Piece E, and glued it to cover the white 'Box' piece (Piece A) and the edges I folded over.
To cover the 'Cover' Piece, I glued the 'Cover' Piece (Piece B) onto the pattern paper Piece D.

Remember how Piece D was already at 12", so you had to cut 2 extra strips. Here is where you now glue the strips on. I've already folded over and glued the edges of Piece D. Now you glue a strip at each end.

This is what your piece will now look like.



Now glue Piece F to cover the white CS and edges.


Here's both piece's all ready for folding. Each piece is like a sandwich: 'Box' Piece is now made up of Piece C + Piece A + Piece E. 'Cover' Piece is now made up of Piece D + Piece B + Piece F.


I used my scoring blade to score my pieces.

'Box' Piece: Score each side 1 7/8" from the edge.


Here's a close-up of the score lines.

'Cover' Piece: Score 5 1/16" from the short side.



To make the box, you need to cut along the score line, and stop when you hit the other score line. Please see the photo. (A picture is worth a thousand words!) It doesn't matter which side you choose to cut. (I cut along the longer side).

Fold all score lines.


(I cut the little blue strip off so that when the box is folded, the inside is one continuous colour.....just my personal preference....see photo below.)

Here's a close-up of the little piece I cut off.


Glue the flaps...I used a glue stick, and I used clips to hold it together while it dried....I didn't want this puppy coming apart.

My computer wouldn't upload the photo's I took of the cover piece, so I will have to describe it for you.

This is your 'Cover' piece, and it will wrap around your box. Fold on the score lines.

Here's the 'Cover' Piece folded at the score lines, it opens like a book. Here, I attached Navy grosgrain ribbon before attaching the box inside, and the cover image.

Glue the base of your box, and place it on the inside of one flap, you want to make sure the Box Piece is right against your score line. (Glue your box on the x side.)

And that's it to making this Stationary Box....I like to err on having too much information than not enough, so hopefully I covered all your questions, if not feel free to ask.

Enjoy,
Deneen

3 comments:

Catrick said...

Sorry your cards etc. didn't sell better than they did. I never seem to have luck at craft fairs...

Thanks so much for the tutorial on your Keepsake Box.

Cathy

Valli said...

Such a beautiful box! Thanks for sharing your great instructions.

Milena said...

Very pretty! I made my own as well. I decided to use chipboard to make the covers. I will post it on my blog once I am done decorating it. Thank you for the instructions! Greetings from Edmonton!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails