Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Cards With A Gate That Opens, w/ Tutorial!

Wow! What an exciting week for me, if you haven't heard me whooping and hollering from Manitoba yet, I was chosen as Guest Designer over on the Heart 2 Heart Challenges blog! I posted about it yesterday HERE!

And in celebration, I whipped up these cute cards to share with you...........ahhhh, ya caught me, lol, I'm not quite THAT good. But I am really excited to share these cards with you...I haven't shared a tutorial with you in a while, and thought it was about time.

So without further ado, here are these cute, cute, cute cards that feature a gate on the front!!! The tutorial for how to make them is at the bottom of the post, so be sure to scroll down. Oops, almost forgot to mention that the idea for this came from a site called B craft E, they sell templates...only in the UK.

All card sizes: 4.25" x 5.5" ....it was difficult to stop at one, so many options with this card!

Card #1: Welcome to my house!

Aren't ya just tickled pink with the possibilities! The gate does lie flat on the card, but to photograph it standing up, the gate wanted to swing open a little.




I did some paper piecing with the CTMH SS Around the Block, sponged the clouds for the sky, used CTMH B&T paper for the hills, and finished it off with a tree from CTMH SS Four Seasons.


Recipe: CTMH PP-Evensong, CTMH CS-White Daisy, Olive, Tulip, Buttercup & Cocoa, CTMH Ink-Black, Crystal Blue, Bamboo, Garden Green & Outdoor Denim, CTMH SS-True Friends, Around the Block, Four Seasons, Foam Squares, Copics, Martha Stewart Grass Punch.


Card #2: Nestled in the woods.

I wanted to show that you can use the gate in the other direction. You could extend the gate a little...because it doesn't quite reach across the whole card. The white gate seems a little stark against the cottage, but I love the look of a fresh white fence/gate. I think I may distress the edges a little next time.



Recipe: CTMH CS-Smokey Plum, Grey Flannel & White Daisy, CTMH Ink-Black, Cocoa & Desert Sand, CTMH SS-Live Inspired, Thomas Kincade Make A Wish Cottage, Copics (too many to name)
Card #3: At the farm.


I used CTMH SS Weathered Backgrounds on Bamboo CS, because not all fences are white. My daughter loves horses, so I borrowed her stamp set.

Recipe: CTMH CS-Chocolate, White Daisy & Bamboo, CTMH Ink-Chocolate, Black, Olive & Crystal Blue, CTMH SS-Beautiful Things, Racoon & Friends, Foam Squares, Copics, Liquid Glass. The horse SS I'm not sure where it is from, my daughter didn't keep the packaging.
Card #4: Welcome here!
Recipe: CTMH CS-Bamboo, Tulip, Colonial White & White Daisy, CTMH Ink-Black, Desert Sand & Outdoor Denim, CTMH SS-Flower Pot & Around the Block, Foam Squares, Martha Stewart Eyelet Lace Punch, Copics, White Organdy Ribbon, Vellum.


Gate Tutorial:
Step 1:
I forgot to mention that I made the picket is made by cutting off the corner, I measured 1/4" down each side and cut from that mark to the middle of the top of the picket piece. Hope this is making sense.

Step 2:


Step 3:
Step 4:

Step 5:


Step 6:


Step 7:
Hope you enjoyed, and are inspired by the cards today!
Deneen
{Edited}
I just saw an awesome card using this template! Go check out Melanie's card, she made a fence with barbed wire, totally awesome.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Wow, great cards and thank you for the wonderful tut. Can't wait to try it.

Sheila Bennett said...

Very clever card, and you did an absolutely fabulous job on all of your coloring.

Kevin Renz said...

That gate is the cutest... very clever.

Lorrinda said...

LOVE these cards! and thanks for the tutorial so I can try one!

P.S. You asked where you can get the little Canada flag from my blog? You can just right click on it from my blog>>>save picture to where you can find it, then go to customize your blog>>>add a gadget>>>picture, and add it! Anything for a Canadian crafty sister :) HTH!

Lorrinda said...

Oh, and Happy Mother's Day Birthday! It's one of those special ones with a zero in it? You deserve the whole weekend, not just one day!!! Hope you have a FABULOUS weekend!

Jennifer said...

GREAT cards and tutorial!!

Twyla Norris said...

Congratulations on being chosen as guest DT over at H2H. Have a happy, happy, happy birthday!

- - Sheryl - - said...

thanks for the gate layout - very cool

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails